YOUR RIGHTS – Advocates for Children and Young People

Advocates for children and young people


Office of the Guardian for Children and Young People in care

GCYP is a monitoring and advocacy body for children in care.

In some circumstances, GCYP can directly represent the voice and views of children, if there is a need for an independent advocate to do so. GCYP do not provide support for the adults or represent their views and wishes.



Legal Rights for children and young people


Aboriginal Legal Rights Movement (ALRM)

ALRM provides justice without prejudice to Aboriginal people in South Australia. Staff can help with matters including family law, criminal law, stolen generation compensation claims, and money issues.

1800 643 222


Department for Child Protection

The Department for Child Protection works to keep South Australia’s children safe by protecting them from abuse and harm and providing alternative care for children and young people when living at home is no longer an option.

Head office – 8124 4185

Central Complaints Unit – 1800 003 305


Disability Advocacy Complaint Service SA (DACSSA)

DACSSA provides information and advocacy support to individuals, families, carers and communities.

8297 3500


Legal Services Commission

For clarification on the guardianship status of a child or young person not living with a biological parent (ie friend, relative)

Telephone Advice Line open from 9:00 am – 4:30 pm         

Fast free legal advice:
1300 366 424

General enquiries:
846 33555


Complaints line for children and young people

Ombudsman SA        

The Ombudsman is independent, and investigates complaints about South Australian government and local government agencies and receives information about state and local government activities confidentially from whistleblowers.

8226 8699

Health and Community Services Complaints Commissioner

HCSCC assists service users, carers and service providers – this includes government, private and non-government health and community services – to try and resolve complaints about community services in South Australia.